Saturday, December 27, 2014

$175 Grocery Budget - Part 1

Although it's hard to believe that it's already the end of December, I have decided to embrace the coming new year. Even though nothing specifically changes the second that the clock hits midnight on December 31st, new years always feels like a fresh start. I'm looking forward to 2015 and the new experiences and experiments that are coming with it.

With the 2015 just around the corner, I decided to look back over our budget and spending from 2014 and set some new goals. Throughout the last 6 months, I learnt a lot about meal planning, couponing, once a month shopping, cash back and price matching, along with a ton of new recipes. I believe that if I put all that knowledge into action in the coming months, I can keep our monthly grocery expense under $175 and keep the same basic eating habits. That includes feeding myself, my husband (who is apparently constantly "bulking") and our kitty.

I know some people spend a ton of money on groceries every month and that amount may sound crazy low. I've also read and heard people say that it's impossible to eat well/healthy/enough without spending $300 - $400 a month but I diasgree. This year, our average bill was about $240 and, while our meals are not fancy or completely organic or anything like that, they have been fairly healthy and totally filling. Below are some examples so that you can get a better idea of who we are and what we eat.

Our Little Family 

Breakfast

Meat, cheese and pepper omelette
Peanut Butter on Toast
Banana
Milk

Sausage Cheese Scone
Peaches

Lunch

Tuna with Greek Yogurt
Crackers + Cheese
Peas


Red Pepper + Cantaloupe
Homemade Bread 


Dinner

Lasagna
Homemade Garlic Toast
Peas

Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Chicken Rice
Peas

We don't normally eat peas with EVERY meal (or barely every actually) but they just happened to be on sale the week I took pictures. As you can see, we definitely aren't starving or eating meals totally void of nutrients. Over the next few weeks I will be sharing more about how I plan to meet this goal of $175 a month, including information on couponing, cash-back apps, meal planning, things that I make homemade and some of my favourite cheap meals and recipes. Be sure to check Part 2 Here. 





No comments:

Post a Comment