Thursday, January 22, 2015

$175 Grocery Budget Part 4


Click here for Part 3

If you're like me, you probably want to walk through the door after a shopping trip, drop your bags in the entryway, flop down on the couch with a cozy blanket and take a nap while loose apples roll down the hallway. Reality is, a grocery trip doesn't end the second you walk in the front door. The things that I do once I get home from the store are a large part of how I save money on groceries. 

First, I make sure that all my pantry and fresh food items are stored properly. The last thing I want to do is throw out unused food because it went bad. 

Second, I prepare my freezer items. When I go shopping, I often come home with a ton of items which will go straight into my freezer. I take all the soon to expire cartons of milk that I got 50% off and toss them in the freezer. Then I clean and cut up all of the discounted fruits and vegetables that I am going to freeze. These are usually things like peppers, peaches, bananas etc. I also stock up on cheese when it is on sale and freeze it for later. 

Next, I divide up my meat. It is a lot cheaper to buy meat in the larger packages, but I never need that much at once. I use freezer bags to split big packs of ground beef, chicken breasts, drumsticks, pork chops and sausages into smaller portions. Most of these also go straight into the freezer. 

The last thing I do, not usually on the same day, is cook and bake a ton of homemade things. There are so many items that are cheaper to make homemade than to buy at all. My favourite things to DIY in order to save money are homemade buns/bread, baked beans, granola bars, protein bars, fruit cups, muffins and scones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment